Sunday, May 9, 2010

OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN

Look at me; I'm so out of it I even quoted Britney Spears. That's so 20 seconds ago (20 seconds is the new 15 minutes, Andy).

Every time I get involved with the Comic Book Resources Forum, I stir up a hornet's nest, then have to calm people down. See, I have this horrible, horrible habit of not taking anything seriously while among the context-deaf. And then I (gasp!) say it out loud, as it were. This is interpreted by some as being "rude," or -- God help us all -- candid.

Controversy (Really? We're talking about fictional people here, folks, and people I know can take a mild kidding)... "Controversy" is, apparently, a problem in a nation terrified by the threat of car bombs in New York City and an unannounced visit from the Census Bureau.

We have all become hyper-sensitive on top of the damage done by three generations' worth of Boomer-tastic Incessant Self Regard. It's now everybody's job to anticipate everyone else's possible indignation before it erupts. We must censor ourselves before the fact because, who knows? -- those we can't say "Excuse me" to in a way they can understand may not be taking their anti-anxiety meds by the fistful. The Statue of Liberty weeps.

Sadly, I don't love upsetting people, nor do I do it deliberately, but the obsessive-compulsive in me can't resist the siren call of that angrily buzzing hive. That's 'cause it ups the visibility, yo. So bring the hornet's nest. I'll bring the stick.

And remember, now that we're all superstar wannabes: It doesn't matter what they say about you, as long as they spell your name right.

And can tell humor from truth. Reality from show biz. And...

Oh, s***. I'm f****d.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let the peanut gallery get you down...I thought it was a great little interview. I think it's very helpful for us fans to be reminded that making comics is a job, and comes with all the same frustrations, compromises, and office politics that you get in any job. And that the Legendary Creators are ultimately just working stiffs trying to get through the day like the rest of us. Keep callin' 'em like you see 'em.

Bob Rozakis said...

Gee, Marty, you sure know how to rile up them fanboys and fangirls.

Paul Chadwick said...

Man, you were on a roll! Lotsa coffee before that email interview, I bet.

Your defenders far outnumbered detractors, I note.

You are funny.

Blog post text copyright © 2010 by Martin Pasko. All rights reserved. No use of this text, in whole or in part, other than links to this site, may be made without the author's express permission in writing.

The opinions expressed here are those of the author, who is solely responsible for this blog's editorial content. They do not reflect the views of any publication or production to which the writer has contributed nor any corporation by which he may have been employed.

Blog Archive